Mechanical Engineering The University of Adelaide Australia
Mechanical Engineering Home
Information For
Undergraduate Students
Postgraduate Students
International Students [external link]
Staff
Business and Industry
Information About
The School
Mission
History
Expertise
Facilities
Safety
Our People
Research Activities
Consulting Services - MechTest
News

School of Mechanical Engineering
THE UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE
SA 5005
AUSTRALIA


Telephone:

Facsimile:

History

After a long history of engineering education at the University of Adelaide, dating back to 1878, the School of Mechanical Engineering was established separately in 1946. Instrumental in this were sizeable donations from BHP, Adelaide Electric Supply Limited, GMH Limited and Sir Edward Holden, and smaller donations from several others. A Professor of Mechanical Engineering (H. H. Davis) was appointed in 1946 and in 1948 two permanent lecturing staff were appointed.

Steady growth in research and teaching activities since that time has led to an increase in the size of the School to 13 academic staff, more than 30 postgraduate students and more than 200 undergraduate students.

Click here to see a list of the current staff and postgraduate students.

Prof H H Davis
Professor HH Davis